It has been a busy few weeks in the news, beginning with the announcement that Medicare annual enrollment will begin a month earlier than normal, on October 15, 2011. Elsewhere:
- Reports say that Medicare Advantage plans with 5 star ratings will get extra bonuses from CMS.
- Nursing home operator lower its outlook based on Medicare cuts.
- Concern is voiced that President Obama’s jobs bill could hurt the health care industry.
- The FDA announces changes in the oncology office that will lead to greater efficiency in getting cancer treatments to patients.
- HHS Secretary Sebelius proposed new rules that aim to expand the rights of patients to access their health information.
- The Veterans Administration reports that it has as much difficulty with “rebound” patients as private hospitals despite employing Medicare approaches to reducing this problem.